Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat Pooping in Flower Bed

Posted by Kluttery (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 20:17

I have a large bed (about 3 feet wide and 30 feet long) at the edge of my front lawn right at the curb. The bed is mulched with wood chips. A neighborhood cat seems to think this is a huge litter box.

Is there any deterrent I can spray that won't damage the plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat Pooping in Flower Bed

Lay down chicken wire and stake it in place.

o

Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't sound too attractive. When I get a chance, I'll visit PetSmart and ask. Perhaps there's something I can spray on the curb rather than the bed itself that will keep it away.

o

There is a motion activated water sprayer one can buy that will spritz the cat (or anything moving) with water.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, May 7, 14 at 11:15

I've used the chicken wire laid on the ground along the back of a bed, that bare stretch between plantings and the foundation and it worked fine, but I'd add that when my mother tried it in her yard I worried about her tripping on it.

I have the Scarecrow motion activated sprayer for deer and it works on cats too, also the mail carrier, PUD meter reader (I wasn't home that day but the neighbor said she really cursed, it's more than a 'spritz' of water ;)), the paper boy who found it entertaining.

You don't have to spray product your curb, there are weather resistant granules that are effective you can scatter that won't stand out. Critter Ridder by Havahart 'the pet friendly people' is one, Get Off My Grass green gel cubes has worked for me too.

No wandering cats in this garden and I don't miss dealing with them. I like cats, I just don't like cleaning up after someone else's....

o

Thanks, Morz8. I'll definitely check out those products. They sound like they jive with what I had in mind.

o

see link to GW search engine results ..

apparently.. you are not alone

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here