Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions on "politely" getting rid of the birds!!!

Posted by RPost78 8A (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 20:26

I have two issues! I have a parrot and his food attracts birds. I can't get around that, but I'd really like it if the birds would stay off my porch. I have tried the fake snakes and that doesn't work. The birds poop on them! Any suggestions?

Next issue: The mocking birds are wreaking havoc on my strawberries! I'd greatly appreciate it if they'd find another place to have a buffet. Any suggestions on getting rid of them? I have thought of building a cage to put around my strawberries, but that may not be easy for me to do!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions on "politely" getting rid of the birds!!!

The only way to keep those unwanted birds away from the porch is to eliminate all sources of food.
To keep birds away from any plant you need to cage those plants with something that the birds cannot get through, but pollinators can. Floating Row Covers, anti bird netting, small mesh (1/4 inch) chicken fencing, etc.

o

A fake owl perched above the porch would work for a while, but only for a while, and might freak out your parrot too.

A worse alternative is a sound cannon.

Good luck,
Dennis

o

Glad you mentioned the pollinators! I was so into keeping the birds off my strawberries that I hadn't even thought of the pollinators! Boy, that would have been bad! Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here