Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buck12345

yellow, stunted new growth on knock out roses

buck12345
11 years ago

What is causing new growth to be yellow and stunted on these red knock out roses.

They are 3 years old, in full sun, healthy till this year. Fertilized normally.

Other similar roses in a bed 40 feet away are fine.

Took a cutting to a garden center near here, we were told it was lack of iron in the soil. MAybe.....

No bug on undersides of leaves at all.

Curiously, maybe coincidental, we have blackberries about 100 ft away that for last 3 years have had similar yellowing and stunting of about 15% of th enew sprouts that grow out. I have just cut these shoots off - the plants are still alive

Thanks for any help

Image link:

Comments (7)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Please post an image of the shrub, overall.

Further, any herbicides used anywhere in the vicinity? And if so, what kind/name?

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

What is the pH of the soil these plants are growing in?
    What kind of nutrient level did a good, reliable soil test show there was?
    How well does that soil drain?
    How well does that soil retain moisture?
    How much organic matter is in that soil?
    What is the tilth of that soil?
    What does that soil smell like?
    What kind of life is in that soil?
    Iron can be inhibited by too much P, the soils pH, too much Copper, or a deficiency in the soil although as a micro nutrient that is seldom the real problem. Yelloowing of leaves, chlorosis, is caused by many things, not just the lack of, or inability of the plant to use, iron.

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Look short of water. Could be due to dry soil or root problem or other things.

Where do you live?
    And how do you take care of the rose? Water? Fertilizer? etc?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

where are you.. and when was the last FROST/FREEZE ???

ken

• PRO
    Big Pink
    8 years ago

I have the same problem. leaves are yellow with green veins and I have read it can be related to iron deficiency. These are new plants from the nursery. I've had them about a month and they are in the same plastic containers they came in. (I am on a terrace and have to use containers). They are developed by the same company that sells Knock-outs but they are called "Drift" ground cover. After I got them I started to notice white mildew around the base of flower buds (they also had a couple of caterpillars that I got rid of) (I know, great nursery huh?) so I used Bayer All-In-One. Now all the flowers have died off and there is a lot of new growth but it all looks like the photos.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

hey pink.. why hijack an old post???

what are you a pro at???

you might want to try the container forum or one of the rose forums ... for future info on roses in pots ...

there is no way.. in my world.. that a plant that came from a nursery a month ago.. could be deficient in anything ...

other than being in a pot;. and yellowing.. we dont have much to go on ..

can we see a pic of the whole ... if its just his one branch.. maybe it was damaged .. and should just be cut out ...

ken

• PRO
    Big Pink
    8 years ago

Yeah. I hijacked it because the photo came up in a search. I'll post it in roses. As for what I am a pro at – clearly not gardening or social media – I'm a graphic designer and an interior design enthusiast.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21