Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of fungus gnats without pesticides

Posted by Neodinium none (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 20:56

I know everyone has their way of getting rid of these annoying pests and I've tried many of them myself.

But I recently got another infestation from some new soil I bought but decided not to use pesticides to get rid of them this time.

CAUTION: Make sure your soil or pot doesn't contain combustible material or else do this outside.

What I tried this time was using a HEAT GUN!

It was very simple and didn't take very long. I turned my trusty heat gun to its max setting and held it about 1/2" above the soil. I can't express how pleasurable it was seeing those little annoying gnats try to fly away and burn up!

I did this outside to be on the safe side, but my pot is ceramic and the soil I bought doesn't have anything combustible in it.

I simply circled the gun around the plant twice. It took literally 1-2min to do this. I repeated this procedure every other day or so for about 2 weeks and , at least in my experience, it works! Of course, don't point the gun at your plant and be careful not to burn yourself.

I repeated it to get all of the population, which are most likely in different stages of their life cycle.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this method of killing annoying fungus gnats! It works very well, you just have heat treat the soil every day or so for 2 weeks to get all of them during different parts of their life cycle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of fungus gnats without pesticides

Interesting...I'll stick with Bt.

tj

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, May 7, 14 at 0:33

Me too. The BTi that is.

I keep Gnatrol on hand.

o

for prevention with new media.. see link ... but it doesnt involve arming yourself with a gun.. lol ...

let us know.. in a week or two.. what if any delayed impact the gun had on your plants ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

My grandfather used to control gnats in the house in a similar fashion. Put a banana peel in your stainless sink and let the gnats gather there. Bring in a small propane torch and make a quick pass over the peels. You might be able to use a bananal peel to lure the gnats away from your plant before you hit them with the heat gun. Somehow, I'm in love with the heat gun trick. It just seems very manly!

o

Since the eggs and larva of the Fungus Gnat needs a pretty moist high organic medium to hatch and grow in control is quite simple by controlling the amount of moisture that is in that potting soil. No need to use a heat gun, which could burn the plant growing in that pot, or spend money on "stuff" to control them.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Fungus Gnats

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here