Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
really big grubs

Posted by glorygrown SE PA/6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 21:15

As I plant vegetables in the garden this spring, I keep finding these really, really big fat white grubs. Not Japanese beetle grubs; these things are almost as fat and long as a thumb. Are they cicada grubs? Why are there so many? I obviously only find them where I dig, but they are almost everywhere I dig, so I guess there are a lot more out there that aren't being uncovered. Are they going to decimate my plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: really big grubs

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, May 11, 09 at 1:43

Look for images of the grubs of green fruit beetle, Cotinis mutabilis

If that's what you have, not a problem. They eat dead stuff -- often in compost piles -- not live plants.

o
RE: really big grubs

The grubs you find in your soil are the larva of one of many members of the Scarab Beetle family, some 30,000 beetles that includes our common June Bug and the Japanese Beetle. About this time of year most will be starting to pupate to become the adults we see for a short time while they, the adults, mate and lay eggs that will become next years beetles. For these grubs to be a real problem you need about 10 per square foot, however any you do find can be put out for the birds and, especially, the various blackbirds you may have around you will really relish them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here