Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
little tiny worms on lilac

Posted by ladyhawke Ma. 5/6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 11 at 21:17

I just noticed some tiny little worms on my 2nd year lilac shrub. I also noticed some of the leaves had some brown spots on them. The last time I checked, everything appeared to be so healthy and green. Does anyone know why or what is causing them and what I can use to eliminate them. I hope this doesn't mean I won't be getting any blooms this year. I only had one big one last year and was really hoping to get more this year. Thanks. Ladyhawke

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: little tiny worms on lilac

Does anyone know why or what is causing them and what I can use to eliminate them.

Not with info provided. Pix help. And lilacs take several years to bloom well after planting.

Dan

o

If any damage being caused is only cosmetic there is no good reason to "eliminate" these insect larva. My Lilacs often have leaf miner damage which does, in reality, minor harm to the leaves and does not warrent any means of control. Only you can determine if what is there is harming the plant more then is good for the plant, but most of the time the damage is just cosmetic and there is no need to take control measures. Almost all of the "pest" control sprays sold are very broad spectrum and will also poison the beneficial insects that may be predating on those wee thingys you are seeing as pests.

o

Thank you, kimmsr. I was concerned because I didn't want anything to interfere with it's blooming. Dan Staley mentioned that lilacs take several years to bloom and I had one bloom last year, it's first year. Was hoping for more this year. Did't want anything to jeopardize that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here