Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nubbins_gw

Yellowing squash leaves

Nubbins
10 years ago

All my squash leaves are turning yellow! The cucumber met its end several days ago, yellowed, wilted, and ended up in the trash. Now the two different types of zucchini, and a pumpkin are following suit, leaves turning yellow, and developing little light brown spots. I'm hoping it doesn't happen to the three plants I have left--another zucchini and two cukes. I noticed in the photos I took that there is a bit of white, so could this be mildew? Overwatering? (Not me, the darn rain, what can I do...?). Bugs? I don't see anything crawling on them or any evidence of anything. Arrgh!

My raised beds are in what would be full sun, if the rain would ever quit. They are filled with brand new "garden blend" which is a mixture of aged compost, bark, topsoil-y stuff that was recommended to me by the bark and landscaping place. I did spray them with miracle grow a couple days ago, to see if that helped the yellowing, but so far, it has only progressed. The soil is ridiculously well-draining--I don't know how I will keep them moist when the heat comes on. So the plants aren't sitting in a swamp by any means, we have just had non-stop rain for several days, so...

Any ideas? I am new to gardening, so I have no idea what to do! Thanks!

Comments (2)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

All the plants you mentioned are warm season stuff --in other words, summer veggies.

So what have been your prevailing temperatures, day and night? Need a minimum of 50F, 55F is much better.

• Nubbins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm... well, we had got pretty darn warm when I up and prepared all of this stuff, we were in the 70-80's during the day, and 50's at night, for a few weeks! But the last several days have turned rainy and cool again. I am sure we are down to the low 40's at night, and today was the coldest it's been for a while, at 52 for the high, dreary and wet. I should have expected this turn, I'm in the PNW--the early summer weather was obviously a total fluke. :( Is there some (inexpensive) way to salvage them, or will they just fail to thrive and wither away? I have frames up for the chicken wire already, to keep bunnies out. Would plastic over the top help--like a little mini greenhouse? Or is it likely too late?