Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakeflee

Spots on apple tree are there any remedies?

jakeflee
9 years ago

i grew an apple from a seed, a gala i think, and now a good portion of its leaves are curled or have spots or both on them it has apples this year (yay first year of apples) but they are small so from this photo what do you think it is, do you know any remedies for it and will the apples be alright, they are only about half an inch in diameter as of 5/15/14.

please don't tell me that i need to kill the tree as i grew this from a seed in sixth grade.

also if it has any impact the seed was from a store bought apple.

Comments (11)

• jakeflee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i have put spiders in this tree to try to get most of the bugs they are the ones i catch every once in a while in my house its doing better than any of the other apple trees I've tried to grow (they were eaten by a dog when they were little the dog passed away a while ago) i try not to get water on the leaves when i water it and the bark where i have sniped branches i put supper glue on them to seal it you might not agree on that last part but it works wonders to keep some bad things out

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Jake, are these apples growing in containers? If so, you need to give us a LOT more information.

No, superglue is not a good idea. Woody plants don't need stuff like that put over a wound.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

The spots on the leaves look like apple scab.

Need a spray every year during the dormant season.

• jakeflee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the apples are out doors no containers and don't seem to be effected but last year i had one apple (the only apple) that turned brown and fell of during early summer before it should have ripened is there a way to prevent that from happening to the 20 or so apples i have this year (it is its second year making (an) apple(s)) or to at least minimize it. should i just give up for this year? and spray in winter/spring next year?

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Start with the soil. Have a good reliable soil test for pH and major nutrients done and use these simple soil tests,
    1) Soil test for organic matter. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. For example, a good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top.

2) Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drainsâ too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up.

3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart.

4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer your soil will smell.

5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy.
    to find out more about the soil this tree is growing in.
    All Apples need another somewhere close because they need cross pollination to produce a crop. That one apple last year may not have been properly pollinated and that may be why it dropped. They do that.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i quit growing apples... or i should say.. expecting a crop .. because of all the spraying required to produce a crop ..

this would generally include a spray while still dormant in spring... then 2 or 3 different sprays after the bees have done their work with the flowers ..

it simply wasnt worth the effort.. and the exposure to chemicals... to do it all ...

there is a fruit forum.. where, if you spent some time reading.. you would be horrified at what need be done to perfect fruit production ...

BTW.... trees heal themselves. and have been doing it for millions of years.. ANYTHING you can dream up to HELP one.. is contrary to nature.. no more super glue.. ever ... nor tar.. nor paint... nor bandages.. nor .. nor.. nothing.. ever ...

ken

• jean001a
    9 years ago

I didn't pay attention to the fact you're in Oregon.

If you live anywhere in the western half, you'll find that fruit trees are high maintenance. All except persimmon require yearly spays while dormant.

The sprays won't stop, or get rid of, the common diseases but they will at least keep them down to a low roar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Managing diseases and insects in home orchards (Oregon)

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago

It is my understanding that growing apples trees from seed in not recommended since they are not true to seed. Correct me if I am wrong, but you don't know what kind of tree you will get or even if the fruit or the actual tree will be healthy. I am not experienced in growing fruit trees so I hope someone else will chime in here. Good luck hope it works out.

• jakeflee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@dirtguy50 i have grown many apple trees from seeds its just they got killed by a dog ... a board dog,

@jean001a i live in east portland on what used to be a farm that is now a neighborhood the backyard supports many plants right now like blueberries and straw berries (that we have tried to kill many times its just impossible) a grafted cherry tree Logan berries and golden raspberries ,lots and lots of golden raspberries also grass cause it keeps weeds down.

@kimmsr my soil is like tightly packed clay that i have had to dig lots to get it aerated it will hold lots of water it makes strong clumps but there are tons of worms.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago

jakeflee, if you have grown many from seed, did they stay true to seed? Did the dog get all of them? Just curious and hope this latest comes out of the problem.

• jakeflee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh no the dog ate them and he passed away a couple of years ago i have grown maybe 4 form a seed and that was when i was under 10 years old in Arizona they would stay healthy till my beaver of a dog would get board and then they would be nubs in the ground i gave one apple tree to my grandma and she is in Wyoming right now and hers is as old as this current one i am 18 now and this is the second year of apple(s) for this tree im not sure how hers is doing but last i heard it was getting big and she has a dog that wouldn't touch a plant (thats probably cause she eats people food but w/e)

and on a side note supper glue is known as liquid bandaid and has been used as such i just used it to cover places where i pruned it when it was little to give it a leg up, maybe 4-5 ft tall.