Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meggi3

Bug eating my basil

MeggieP
11 years ago

My basil has been doing quite well (best of 4 even) but after I got home from work today I noticed a couple of leaves has been eaten leaving holes in them. I have had a problem with aphids in the past but haven't seen any in a couple of weeks. Did some preliminary googeling and I was wondering if it could possibly be spider mites as there is a small web growing on the tomato plant next to the basil. If it is indeed spider mites any suggestions on getting rid of them? (I was going to try 1 tblsp Dr. Bronner's in 1L of water). Also wondered if it could be a katydid (though I haven't seen one yet) Here's a link to a pic of the eaten basil (not the greatest quality I couldn't get my camera to focus)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7088/7311547512_a20974965e_b.jpg

Comments (3)

• MeggieP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It may be worthwhile to note that it rained all night last night...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Aphids nor spider mites chew holes in leaves. I'd keep my eyes open for the perpetrator in the early evening hours, maybe with a flashlight.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

aphids and SMites are suckers ... not chewers ...

go out just before bed .. as late as possible .. ... i usually dont see night things in early evening.. EXCEPT after a grey rainy day ...

also ... gorgeous mulch ... but that is where night chewers live.. on this size plant.. you might want to pull it back somewhat.. to create a demilitarized zone.. lol ... ONCE the plants are established ... and that is where you would put a small ramekin of beer.. and see what you catch ...

ken

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!