Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wilting leaves on lilac

Posted by carenlee3 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 22:29

I did a search to the best of my ability and couldn't find anything like this. I live in WA state. The weather has been both moist and sunny off and on. My lilac bush is prolific on one side and on the other side has curling leaves with curling brown edges. I can't see any bugs. See the attached image if you will and please advise if you can!

Thanks!
Caren

This post was edited by carenlee3 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 0:36

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wilting leaves on lilac

Not wilted. Curled.

Any chance -- even though it may be very slim -- of weed killer used anywhere in the vicinity? By you? a garden helper? a neighbor?

o
RE: curling leaves on lilac

Actually you're on to something. I've been using some Round Up on some weeds around the garden. It's not supposed to hurt desirable plants but could that be it?
Thank you!

o

RoundUp will harm any growing plant that it comes into contact with. It can also be absorbed through cracks or lenticels in the bark, though people don't want to hear that.

If you read the label on your herbicide, you'll find warnings about getting it anywhere near valuble plants.

o

But, the weeds I sprayed are on the ground and I just sprayed the weeds. I was careful with the Round Up and there wasn't any wind....

What do you do about weeds that are in the middle of your perennials, shrubs?

Thank you! Caren

o

Dig up the weeds by hand and then apply a mulch to prevent further weeds.

o

Herbicides and all other pesticides often go off-site via the turbulence of the spray..

o

Thank you for everyone's advice. You don't think there is anything else it could be?

Thanks again,
Caren

o

Lilacs are particularly sensitive to any plant poison and the can often absorb any applied to the soil through the roots. Even though these glyphosate products are only supposed to work if absorbed by the plants leaves I have seen just what you have too many times to not suspect that is what your problem is.

o

Wow! I'm so glad I know this now. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it!
Caren

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here