Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherries shrivel up before ripening

Posted by fruity123 7b (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 23:27

My cherries from lapin, van, and another very large unknown pink fleshed cherry are shriveling up and dropping before ripening. The cherries turn pink then red before falling off. I think it might be European brown rot that is causing this. The dead flowers doesn't fall off and the fruiting spurs sometimes dies. I live in Vancouver BC which is very rainy and I think it has something to do with it. What it this disease and what can be used to treat this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherries shrivel up before ripening

there is a very active fruit forum ... in case you dont get the answer here ... the fruit nuts.. kinda play by their own rules... lol ..

can you document that there has been no frost/freeze event between flowering and the problem??? ... something about the flowers not falling off... has me wondering

ken

o

Lack of pollination is often the reason for fruit drop.
Cut some in half. If no pit, wasn't pollinated.

o

There was no freezing or frost the time the flowers were open. All that time, it had been raining heavily. I doubt pollination is a issue because the pits are big and hard.

o

See my response to your other post. Brown rot is very common in our area and can cause some aborted fruit although molding/rotting of the ripening fruit is more common.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here