Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
waps

Posted by greif Wisconsin z 4 (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 23:33

hi
I have a problem with wasps nesting behind my shutters on the house. everytime I spray them a new batch is back behind there in a week. what can I spray them with that will last and keep them away?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: waps

At this time of year the Queen is getting the nest established, so whatever you are spraying is not reaching the Queen or the larva that have developed from the eggs she layed. it is not what you spray with but that the spray reaches the target, the Queen. You most likely will need to remove that shutter to see where the nest actually is.

o

wasps need hot and dry ... especially the ones that build paper hives ...

shutters are sublime for such ...

all you need do .. is use the hose.. and spray behind the shutters every other night or so.. i usually just go out after dinner ...

they will leave ... they will find somewhere else ...

my shutters were infested, as well as hangers way up on the eaves ...

and i wasted a lot of money on the cans of wasp spray ...

just keep them wet.. they will move on

get something similar to the link.. with a hose end turner offer oner ... and dont forget.. you dont need to chase the wasps.. just wet their home ...

and do it now.. while there are just a few there.. dont wait for the hundreds in august ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Ken, if wasps need "hot and dry" why do they build nests in the cool, moist ground?

Here is a link that might be useful: About Wasps

o

hey kim...

if he meant yellow jackets.. i presumed he would have said yellow jackets ...

and my first sentence says.. those that make paper hives..

and i note.. most peeps do NOT have shutters laying on cool, moist soil ...

i always appreciate your input keeping me honest .. lol ..

BTW .. my daughter.. when 3 years old.. used to call them waps ... and it cracked me up ....

ken

ps: do those long black dangly legs bother anyone else.. i dont know why they disturb me ... lol ...

o

I like the hose idea. I don't like to use chems on beneficial insects. Wasps eat pest insects, such as Tomato Hornworm and Katydids. Even though they eat a lot of my butterfly larvae, I tolerate a hive or two in out of the way areas. (I raise Monarchs and Swallowtails indoors.) Along rooftops and in trees are examples of acceptable sites.If you don't bother the nest, they won't bother you. They're just looking to find food for their larvae and some nectar for themselves.
If I encounter a nest starting in a high traffic area, I get the hose, or a stick. Then I RUN! Usually, it's just one wasp starting out, as I police regularly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here