Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illori_gw

garden weirdness, is my garden haunted or...?

illori
10 years ago

After something nibbled my broad bean seedlings I covered the bed with bird netting. I haven't had any more nibbles, but I have a lot of weirdness going on.

I put in a second crop of beans and some of the seeds were on the surface in the morning, undamaged, there were no holes or disturbed looking areas, I popped them back in. Next morning they were up again. I dug around a bit, I didn't see anything or any tunnels. I put them back in and they've been fine since.

Some of the seedlings looked like something attempted to uproot them, the beans were suddenly high up out of the earth, I pressed them down and it hasn't happened again.

Something has been collecting sticks, seeds (from my compost not my planted seeds), bits of eggshell and leaves and making small piles. The bird netting is quite secure, so anything getting in to do this would have to be able to get through 5/8" holes. No noticeable tunnels either.

Lastly and most strangely, I put sticks/straws next to every seedling to prevent cutworm damage, Something is pulling up the sticks and moving them 4-6" away from the plant (adding them to the previously mentioned debris piles), but doing no visible damage to the plants. One plant I've put the sticks back 4 times now.

I did remove some cutworms and grubs while digging the soil before planting, some could have been left behind deeper than I dug. Would either do all this? There are also quite a few tiny ants in there, could they be the cause? Someone mentioned voles in another thread, but I don't see tunnels or holes.

There has been no real damage done so far, though there might have been if it had been successful in uprooting the seedlings. A smaller plant may have been done for. I mostly ask out of frustrating curiosity, but also in case this is something that will move on to doing root damage, or destroy smaller crops when I start more planting soon.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (2)