Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenraider72

Is there any way to really tell which animals are eating plants?

jenraider72
11 years ago

So for the past few weeks, my Dutch Masters lilies have been having their leaves stripped to the stem, and the tops bitten clean off. Some were partially eaten, some completely stripped , like what I found this morning. The total Lily casulty count is 19. 3 Hostas have had their leaves nibbled on, but not too bad- except for an Empress Woo, which , every time new leaves grow- after a few days, I notice they are bitten to the ground again- (now it's got 1 and 1/2 leaves on it). It's getting worse by the day. The latest victims were pretty tall- I thought they would make it. I even saw today, where something stripped/bit top off a lily that had just started to bud and Calla lilies ( had just reached point where first leaves were tall and unfirled) next to it also were eaten to 1/2 size.

Problem is - aside from the obvious- I can't narrow it down. Too many suspects. There seem to be at least 3-4 rabbits around time to time (1 is so friendly with kids that he's been here since last year as a baby and we can walk right next to him- he's used to us) My husband has seen a large groundhog. There are squirrels everywhere, and twice now, at night, I've seen a small mouse-like thing come past the steps at night from one front plant bed to the other. Mouse or Vole?? I've never seen "my kids' rabbit" eat or go in any of my plants, but logic told me initially it was the rabbit/s.But since the plants were taller, and how much is being decimated in 1 night, I am thinking maybe the Ghog? I ended up spraying everything with HavaHeart spray this afternoon, but I just know that tomorrow a.m. I'll find even less viable plants left.

Short of staging a "reconn mission" to catch something in the act, how can I tell what critters are my biggest enemy here?

Comments (3)