Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unidentified Flower with Holes in Leaves?

Posted by KendraSchmidt none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 1:12

I recently purchased a home in which the previous owner had a fairly well-kept garden. I noticed there is a flower in the garden that I initially thought was an hibiscus, but now I'm not so sure. The leaves have many holes in them, as if something ate through them. Can someone please let me know what flower this is and what it could be that is eating away at the leaves? I 've posted a link to the image below:

Image link: Unidentified Flower with Holes in Leaves? (60 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unidentified Flower with Holes in Leaves?

Looks like hollyhock, alcea. They are biennial. Yours is blooming beautifully. I wouldn't worry about the leaves.

o

A very tiny fellow, the hollyhock weevil -- about 1/8-inch. Makes holes in the leaves as they are expanding. Thus, the holes enlarge as the leaf enlarges.

o

Thank you for the answers! Can this Hollyhock Weevil affect our crops, also?? We're planning to grow most of our vegetables in this very garden, and we're worried about this insect affecting our crops. Is that possible?

And is there a safe way to get rid of it? Will getting rid of the Hollyhock plant itself rid us of the Hollyhock Weevil?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here