Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sick wisteria

Posted by feartheferns ny (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 1:58

Hey, I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what's going on with my wisteria. I got it from a good nursery and it bloomed the first year and got huge but a few years after it started dying back from the top after blooming like crazy, defoliating, and then leafing out again. I can't figure it out. First I thought it died because it outgrew the small area of soil it was in and then I noticed a lump at the base of the stem which is photographed below. I don't know if that has to do with anything. Regardless it regrew from the base a fair amount but a few leaves have died back and I noticed they look a little funny. This could be nothing but I figured I'd put the pictures up in case anyone recognized the problem.
(new growth seen in upper left)
(deformities and yellow blotches)

thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sick wisteria

Think the leaf deformities aren't important. Just an environmental glitch while the leaves were expanding.

As for the lump, could be crown gall. If so, it may eventually encircle the stem. Then the vine will be dead.

Don't try to remove the bump/gall. Instead, consider replacing the vine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here