Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pest on grape vine

Posted by Junesbugged Oklahoma (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 8:17

I have 2 concord grape vines that are only 2 years old. I discovered several small (3/32") bugs on the underside of the leaves. They are pail yellow with 3 black stripes running crosswise on their bodies. They flick/hop when disterbed. I'm not sure how to get rid of them as I have several grape clusters that are still green. O' yea, I also found aphids on the new growth leaves. Any help would be great. Thank you, June

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pest on grape vine

aphids can be blasted off with water ...

as to the other.. you have found no damage relating to such.. so why do you need to do anything about them ...

its great to learn.. but dont think everything needs to be killed...

any chance at a picture??/

finally.. there is a fruit forum.. and those peeps might get an ID on words only... if we fail here ...

ken

o

Taking a wild stab at this, but it might help narrow it down....look up Grapevine Leafhopper, Erythroneura vitis, for comparison.

o

i meant to mention..

at my first house... there was a 6 inch diameter concord grape vine on a trellis tunnel ...

i probably couldnt kill the thing if i had tried..

and i never sprayed for any bug.. and the leaves looked like heck by fall..

but it gave buckets of grapes ... every fall ...

my point.. is your plant doesnt have to look pretty to give you a harvest ...

if you see significant damage.. do ID the problem and treat it..

\just dont get worried about every little bug.. grapes are not foo foo ...

ken

o

Sounds like you've got 'grape skeletonizer', they'll eat ALL of your leaves so you want to get rid of them. I just clipped infected leaves off and squashed the worms, check every few days after that to make sure you got them all.

o

I just got the grape skeletinizers on theRed Flame grape vine (not the Concords.. so far!) & it really did havoc on all the leaves! County Extension Agent said to use BT next year & keep the soil around the vine clear of any leaves, etc. Never had this before!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here