Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gray Spots On Bok Choy

Posted by rikkirakk none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 8:32

Hi there, I was hoping someone could help me identify what is harming my newly-planted Bok Choy?

I planted some seedlings three weeks ago, and the leaves up until now have seemed firm and healthy. Some of the leaves touching the ground went yellow and wilted away, but the ones on top were thriving.

Then, a few days ago I noticed these grey patches about 10mm in diameter. They seemed to be minor and only affected two leaves on my bok choy, and one on my broccoli.

This morning, I checked on them before work and everything was fine but to my horror, when I got home in the afternoon I noticed one of the formerly healthy leaves had this long, trailing yellow stain on it!

What is it? The closest thing I could find is powdery mildew, but it doesn't look the same to these untrained eyes. Can anyone help identify the problem and what, if anything I need to do about it?

Thanks,
John

Image link: Gray Spots On Bok Choy (60 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gray Spots On Bok Choy

Not powdery mildew. Perhaps just an oops in leaf color. It happens.

o

Whatever it is, it looks like it's killing the leaf.

o

Well, it's just getting worse. Two leaves died off; just went yellow and wilted away. Now two more leaves have started to go the same way.

Can anyone help? I have a feeling these plants aren't going to make it through the winter.

o

Please post at least one more image - a mid distance shot of the overall planting.

Also, we need more info because the only thing you've mentioned is yellow spot.

At the very least, tell us about the following
the soil and what you did before planting.
how do you decide when to water?
when you water, by what method and how long do you do so?
Do you fertilize? If so, with what?
D you see any critters? If so, please describe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here