Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! White growth on perennials

Posted by new2ny 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 8:40

I planted two perennial gardens this year, my first season in a new home. Both have done very well but just a day or two ago I noticed white growth (almost looks like a very fine, white spider web) on 4-5 plants. I don't know if this is a fungus, some sort of insect or mite, or another issue altogether. We've also had a lot of rain lately so don't know if it might be related to the moisture. I have both anti-fungal and pesticide products but don't want to use anything until I know what I'm dealing with (fungicide was bought to control shot hole disease on cherry tree leaves - one pesticide is organic and the other is Sevin - I haven't used the Sevin yet because of concern about toxicity. Would definitely never use it in vegetable garden but might consider it for flowers and other types of foilage). I am providing a link with three photos of the growth so hopefully someone can identify the problem for me, and provide a remedy. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Issue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! White growth on perennials

Appears to be webbing not a disease. What happens if you disturb it? Maybe that's all you need do.

o

I don't know what would happen if disturbed; I thought I should ask on the forum first, and obviously take photos while still in place. I also assumed if it was a form of disease, or agressive pest, simply clearing it away without some type of treatment would be ineffective. My goal is to elminiate it for good - are you saying that just removing it might do that? Thanks for the reply.

o

Yes, it was a good idea to take pictures while it was still intact.

Now that you done that, experiment with at least one of the plants to see what happens next: Critters leave or hide? Plant is fine? Webbing reappears? Or what?

o

"...had a lot of rain lately so don't know if it might be related to the moisture..."

Could be. Perhaps soil moisture evaporating and condensing on a spider's web. Are you sure its not a spider's web?

Photobucket

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here