Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green bottle flies

Posted by msburton DC (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 9:17

Green bottle flies are swarming my raised vegetable bed and my fig tree. I can't find anything on GW or on the web that speaks to whether or not these are beneficial. Are they? Or should I get rid of them?

If the latter, from what I've been reading, green lacewings apparently do the trick. Anyone know from experience whether that's correct?

Thanks,
Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green bottle flies

I can't find anything on GW or on the web that speaks to whether or not these are beneficial.

===>>> perhaps bass ackwards???

in the alternative.. what if any damage do you see ...

if none.. then ignore them ..

it is not important if they are 'beneficial' ... i would call them neutral ...

i would also look for pet poop.. dead things.. etc ... and if you do.. you will find what is attracting them ...

ken

o
RE: Green bottle flies

May I ask where you saw information regarding lacewings and the control of green bottle flies?

They are beneficial in the grand scheme of life in that they help 'recyle' animal poop, dead things, garbage, and rotting fruits and veggies. It is the maggots that do that job. However, they are not something that you should encourage in your own little part of the world.

As Ken says: you need to find out where they are coming from and eliminate the source. One year, we had a lot of them come to our back patio whenever we would grill. THAT didn't go over too well. A little bit of sleuthing led us to the discovery that our neighbors were not cleaning up after their two large dogs. (Their son was supposed to do it.) Once the doody duty started again, the flies disappeared.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here