Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smarter than the average wasp???

Posted by MetalMan2004 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 9:34

I know there are several threads about taking care of wasps, but none have helped me yet...

We've been in our new house for about 2 months now. The number of wasps hanging around the backyard is ridiculous. The dogs like to chase them as well. Most of them are actually very passive, but there are some yellow jackets that have chased me inside a couple of times.

I bought a Rescue brand disposable yellow jacket trap. I followed the instructions, and haven't caught one thing in a few weeks. I went back to the store and got a reusable wasp trap that is supposed to trap like 50 different species. Nothing. I tried the honey water in a 2 liter bottle. Still nothing. There are several hanging around in the backyard right now, but not one is interested in the trap.

I know someone is going to say just leave them alone, but I want the yellow jackets gone. The others are fine I guess. Advice anyone?

PS Most of them seem to be living in the ground. I have not seen one nest on or around the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smarter than the average wasp???

More than likely, you're seeing native solitary bees that nest in the ground.

The truly good news about these bees covers several issues:
1. They won't bother you if you don't both them.
2. They're valued as necessary pollinators
3. In about 6 to 8 weeks after they 1st appeared, they will be gone of their own accord.

o
RE: Smarter than the average wasp???

No, I think he's right; around here, the yellow jackets nest in the ground, and God help you if you dig up their nest! They also nest in dead wood, so if you've got an old wood pile or decaying stump, get rid of it - knock it over and run, in case they're in there, then drag it off when they're out. I've tried to get them with water from a hose and it seems to just get them angrier.
My daughter is allergic to yellow jacket stings, so we have on occasion used insecticide spray for wasps/hornets on them. It's not a wide-spread spray - it comes out like water from a hose - so you can shoot it right into the nest when you find it. It's about the only time we use insecticide.

They are smart; insane, but smart. Good luck, and don't send them my way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here