Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this scale, and is this plant worth saving

Posted by Eugene10 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 9:44

I posted this at the end of an old thread, and got no response...was just curious if this is scale and is this plant (no idea what it is) worth saving. I need a plant thats about 4 ft high to soften the fireplace in the house. House is dry and the space gets good light. Recommendations greatly appreaciated.

thanks for any response...i am an idiot when it comes to plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this scale, and is this plant worth saving

You will need to post an image of a lot more of your plant if you want an ID. We can't tell much from a closeup of a small part of the leaf.

That does look like the small brown scale often found on many indoor plants such as Ficus species and Schefflera.

o

even indoor plants need light..

is there a window near the fireplace.. any natural light???

lack of sunlight.. will lead to lack of vigor.. and as that increases.. all kinds of problems can attack a plant ...

so before we encourage you in saving this one.. or buying another.. we should start by finding out if it is really possible to grow a plant .. where you are trying to ....

need a pic of the whole plant.. and the front of the leaf.. if you want an ID ...

ken

o

sorry...this is the type of plant.

o

this is the corner I was referring to....looking for some greenery (4 feet to 10 feet tall to soften the corner. The window shade can be open or drawn,,,what ever would be best for the plant..

o

well that should definitely be enough light for an indoor plant ....

thinking way outside your box.. at my first house.. i had a weird wall space like that.. and ended up hanging an oriental carpet runner as a wall hanging ... which left a few inches of wall showing on each side of a cool asian design ...

as to the plant.. it is a very large plant.. in a very small pot .. it will .. eventually .. need to be up potted ...

i am not into house plants .. so i will defer to the others as to ID and diagnosis ..

but do let me know what you think of the runner idea ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: the sky is the limit on color and design ...

o

Looks like a very nice location for a large indoor plant. That's Brassaia actinoplylla....aka Schefflera or Umbrellatree. It is also a scale magnet; I've only rarely seen one without this particular brown scale. I'd say that your plant is well worth saving.

I'll recommend that you visit the Houseplant Forum with your pictures. You'll come away with lots of options for the control of scale on houseplants. My personal choices would include some hand rubbing and occasional applications of horticultural oil.

o

rhiz.. looking inside the decorative black square holder.. doesnt it look like its in a smallish round pot ...???

or is this thing one of those that can thrive at 4 feet tall.. in a 2 gallon pot???

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here