Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikomikonurse

Smoking out aphids?

mikomikonurse
10 years ago

Hello, I am a new user here. I live in Tokyo. If it helps, right now it is getting to be hot and humid. I have a few plants outside on my terrace, and I have always had a problem with aphids! I've looked online and tried everything!
I have boiled lemon zest and poured it into the soil, and then sprayed the leaves with lemon juice and water and soap. It worked for a little while. But it seems that aphids can mutate and adjust and adapt.
I sprayed them with apple cider vinegar and water, but again the aphids have adapted.
The easiest way to get rid of all of the aphids is to, unfortunately, pick all of my infected plants and throw them away.

Now I am thinking about smoking the aphids out. Since my Plants are potted, do you think I can put some insect repelling incense on the soil and cover the plant with a plastic bag for maybe an hour? Maybe if I poke a couple holes in the plastic bag, it will let some smoke escape.

Do you have any other suggestions? Will the smoke kill my plants? Will the aphids suffocate? Have you done something like this before?

My aphids seem to be really good at adapting, just like the Borg from Star Trek!!!

Thank you in advance!