Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suflowers dying

Posted by thahalibut 9 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 10:36

Ive been growing sunflowers for my entire life. For some reason this year they are dying when they never have before, ever. I have 4 kinds & so far 3 kinds have died, about 8 plants. 2 have taken 1 whole day to die, the others went from 100% looking great to 100% dead in 2-3 hours. Disease, fungus? Here is a pic of the problem. Down at the base, the dark color, going from thick green stalk, to small constricted brown death. I see no signs of any bugs, no snails, nothing inside when cut open.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suflowers dying

Looks like some sort of bacterial infection from here. Contact your Co Extension to see what they are getting this season and if there are any varieties that are resisting the bacterium this year.

Dan

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 22:36

I would suggest a fungal root rot. If bacterial, often a soft rot and quite smelly.

o

I'mma go with jean on this one and say fungal. My first guess would be Sclerotinia.

o

There is no smell what so ever. I should also mention it is very hard & it is not affecting any other plant that I can see. I have beans, tomatoes, melons, roses, peppers, squash, asparagus, eggplant, etc, etc, etc.
I may spray some bayer disease control tomorrow to see if I can stop it.
thanks

o

I can go with a Sclerotinia now that I think about it.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here