Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvali

Troubleshooting: 2 Different Issues

silvali
9 years ago

Hello and thanks for any help!

#1: I had(already removed all I found) greenish/yellowish egg shaped things embedded within several shoots of my red onions in their planter box. I have been finding a ton of black caterpillars, so I assume they are caterpillar eggs. But I also noticed a wasp camped out there yesterday. So, who's eggs are they? Could they be the wasp's? Or was the wasp feasting on or parasitizing the caterpillars? I sure don't want baby wasps popping out. If they are eating the caterpillars, who knew, they actually serve a positive purpose.

#2: My large green tomatoes are all getting a brown, rusty color to their "belly button", where the stem connects to the top of the plant. The tomatoes, stems and leaves are still green, but I can see the brown edges under the connecting leaves, is that a thing? Also on tomatoes, two are getting concentric small cracks. Does that just mean the belly button part is cracking too?

Thanks so much, gardening is so mysterious and it's hard to find the exact answers on the internet, I've been looking.

This post was edited by silvali on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 11:10

Comments (2)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Need pictures, please

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

silvali, what variety of tomato are you growing? (Some varieties are prone to concentric cracks around the stem end. Black Krim is the most notorious of those varieties.)

I can see the brown edges under the connecting leaves

Are "the connecting leaves" the pointy green bits between the tomato fruit and the stem which connects the fruit to the rest of the plant? If yes, then the "connecting leaves" are the sepals which originally were the outermost layer of the blossom. (Different varieties tend to have particular numbers of sepals.)

And if "the connecting leaves" are sepals, then the "belly button part" which is turning tan is a normal feature of some tomato varieties. (If I'm wrong about that, jean will surely correct me.)

The stem which connects the fruit to the plant is called a pedicel.

The wasps which parasitize caterpillars which I'm familiar with lay the eggs on the caterpillar.