Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weedblock stopped Jap Beetles & Grubs??!!

Posted by tristate (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 10:49

I'm flummoxed. I've got 7 peonies which have been annually attacked by Japanese beetles. I've used lures before and gotten 3-4 bags full, but still enough on the bushes to eat most flowers. I JUST bought milky spore but haven't applied it yet.
Low and Behold- so far- no beetles. And the peonies are blooming like crazy. The only thing I did differently this year was change the peony cages (double hoop) and applied a sheet of contractor grade weed block down the entire row of peonies. I just cut a hole for each plant 3 weeks ago before they bloomed. But still, the hole is letting the stray weed through, so it's not like there's a hermetic seal around the plant.
Does anyone know if weed block could've stopped the beetles from coming out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weedblock stopped Jap Beetles & Grubs??!!

I haven't seen any JBs yet this year. Don't think they are out yet in my area.

o

Any barrier can keep them from emerging from landscape beds. The issue is still turf, where most will likely emerge from. Not to mention the majority of Jap beetles in your yard came from your neighbors. We are just starting to see Jap beetles in my area. I'm personally expecting a low year for them, but the next year or two we may see an increase in them again.

o

The "weed block" would not have anything to do with keeping Japanese Beetles from emerging from the soil, although it may delay them some as they search for a up and out. Since Japanese Beetles usually do not emerge until after the Peonies have finished blossoming (mid June or later) unless you are in south Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, etc.

o

Hmm, interesting. I'll check this week as it's warmer and see if there's movement. I know they've been up on the flowers in the past years, not just after the flowers have died. I'll post if there's anything unusual which could be attributed to the weedblock. Kimmsr and Stompede-what do you think? The weedblock is 4 feet wide and my largest peony is maybe 2 feet in diameter so there's quite a bit of crawling to be done. Plus I really stapled down and all lawn clippings have been dumped on top of the weedblock to weigh it down (and cover the black). Any ideas about the possibility that even if they hatch, maybe the majority will find it hard to get out?

o

I hardly think weedblock would have anything to do with it. You can take all the measures you want to deter JB's, but if your neighbors don't do it, and their neighbors don't do it, the JB's are going to fly in regardless. Having said that, I have never noticed JB damage on my peony foliage, since they show up after they're done blooming. This is the first year I've noticed beetles this early on in the season, not JB's or Masked Chafers, but another relative I'm sure. Sigh...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here