Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squirrels Ammonia & Moth Balls Residue?

Posted by shlisten Z5 ont canada (hihoneyitsyourmom@hotmail.com) on
Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 10:53

I am at war and am putting ammonia soaked rags and socks filled with moth balls in my garden to protect my sunflowers - will the residue from both of these kill the plants if it seeps into the ground when it rains?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squirrels Ammonia & Moth Balls Residue?

I killed a few hostas last year when instead of just spraying them with diluted ammonia, I poured some into the crowns of the plant. I thought I'd kill the baby slubgs before they came out for their dinner. What an idiodic thing to do; I was so angry at myself all season.

I'm not sure ammonia soaked rags are even effective at repelling any pests or critters, but I'd sure be careful using ammonia around my plants after last year's debacle.

o
RE: Squirrels Ammonia & Moth Balls Residue?

Moth balls are highly toxic and should not be used anywhere that a non target animal can get to them. I sure hope YOU didn't expose yourself to the fumes that that combination must have made.

There are many commercial repellents on the market, and many people seem to have luck with hot pepper sprays or cayenne dusts. Doesn't bother the birds at all, but keeps the rodents away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here