Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigamie

treat scales on tree above chicken run

bigamie
10 years ago

the scales are in the black crawly(gross) stage right now. they have been on this tree(unknown identity) since we moved in 11 years ago. we have sprayed with vlock? oil and malthilion? or something spelled like that. this year we built or coop and run under the tree i really want to spray tree again but do not want any harm to come to my flock(love them!). pretty sure its a no for the poison but not sure about the oil spray or if there is a better alternative. they are so gross right now i hate them! any suggestions? thanks amie

Comments (17)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Doesn't sound like scale insects to me....right off the bat. Crawlers are extremely tiny! Most people have never and will never see them.

So, we need to figure out what kind of tree it is (pictures of leaves) and what kind of insect. THEN we can get down to the business of solving your problem in the safest way possible for you and the biddies!

• bigamie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i will post pictures of both. thanks

• bigamie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is a close up of creepy crawlies. some fell off and a on the patio. the big one i think is a predator(i hope)

• bigamie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one more pic

• calliope
    10 years ago

Aphids

10 years ago

These are not scale insects. I'd guess aphids, too, but can't get a focus on any individual.

Put your malathion and Volke oil away. The first cannot be sprayed around the chickens and the latter won't help much with the aphids.

Calliope, do you know what kind of tree this is? Anybody? Bigamie, is there anything you can tell us about the flowers or any fruit this tree produces?

• bigamie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok more pictures. we have 2 of these trees in our yard. one grows small red fruits later in the summer kind of like cherries but not as smooth or round or red for that matter... it is also infected.

• bigamie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok more pictures. we have 2 of these trees in our yard. one grows small red fruits later in the summer kind of like cherries but not as smooth or round or red for that matter... it is also infected.

{{!gwi}}

• bigamie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i tried to get the flowers here.

10 years ago

How about wooly apple aphids on crabapple? They start out dark and then create their 'wooliness '. That's my best guess!

• bigamie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

should i jjust spray with dawn diluted? that should be safe for my hens right? or insecticidal soap?

• calliope
    10 years ago

The main tree to attract aphids consistently around here is Linden or other tilia species. If she takes this to the tree forum, they'll identify it in a heartbeat. If the tree is not suffering, then treatment is not indicated. Aphids have been hideous this year and I don't know why.

• bigamie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is a close of the little buggers. they are all over now just not on the tree. gross. here they are on my broom handle

• calliope
    10 years ago

As I said before....its aphid. Aphids have 'tailpipes'. How about as good a photo of the bloom on the tree so we can try identifying that one?

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    10 years ago

I would first just use a strong spray of water to knock off a lot of the aphids. They will not likely be able to get back up there. There would then be no chance of harming the chickens and you can get some control. Aphids like new growth and can disappear as the season progresses. I am sure some aphid eaters are there too. You don't want to kill them.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

The link below takes you to one of the best web sites I have found about Aphids. Broad spectrum poisons, such as Malathion, will also kill off any predators of Aphids so should not be used.
    A sharp water spray will knock the current crop of Aphids off the tree, but the next generation will fairly quickly replace them, but the water will not be harmful to your chickens or any beneficial insects that are around.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Aphids

• bigamie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here are some pictures of the flowers. they are pretty unremarkable and almost all off the tree.