Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Plantskydd'...

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 12:01

What is your opinion on this product called Plantskydd???
The rabbits are out of control...after I googled products, this one seems to have the best reviews and guarantee.

Thanks for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Plantskydd'...

Something like Milorganite will be just as effective and much less expoensive.

o

gardenlady, I trialed Plantskydd several years ago in an area of severely high deer pressure. Rabbits and voles were also a problem. We applied the product in the early spring.

The test area was a large vegetable and herb garden, designed to duplicate a garden of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. PRIME territory for the animals!

~ It was successful in repelling animals for many weeks, even after rainfall and numerous irrigation cycles. To the best of my recollection, we observed the first nibbles after about three months. It might have been longer than that. We saw animals in the vicinity, but they did not chow down of the treated area. Even the raccoons, often a real nuisance in a vegetable garden, found other gardens to pilfer from.

~ It smells to high heaven. That part of it fades after a few days, but I wouldn't plan any outdoor family gatherings for awhile.

~ We also sprayed some on favorite broadleaf evergreens in this same area to test the effectiveness over the winter. The deer avoided those plants for many months, maybe as much as half the year.

~ We found it a bit difficult to mix, but worth the effort (obviously). The company also makes a granular product, but I have not tested that.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 19:19

I've tried their product for deer, and agree with Rhizo that it's somewhat difficult to work with. It doesn't smell good, was hard to mix, and any overspray had to be washed off my light colored house. It works, but those reasons alone would make me hesitate to recommend it.

I still have some, but prefer Bobbex product for deer, easy to mix liquid, also a bad smell but it goes away in just a few short hours while it must still be detectable to deer - it's highly effective. They make a rabbit product too that I haven't had reason to buy - so I can only guess that it would bring equally good results.

One of our local hardware stores w/season garden has begun to stock the Bobbex products - finally, no ordering, shipping fees, necessary :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bobbex repellents

o

Works well and smells...it is solution grade blood meal. Used a lot when replanting forest seedlings, so high browsing pressure

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here