Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

what is this thing?

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

I spotted this guy on my thai pepper plant last night, and took the best picture I could. he looks like a spider, but appears to only have 6 legs, so it might not be a spider. he was crawling all over the plant, but seemed to pause a lot on the bottoms of some leaves. he's tan colored with a red face.

I don't think it's a pest, if anything he's probably helping me by eating pests, especially given that he was moving rather quickly, and stopping briefly every few seconds, whereas most pests find themselves a nice leaf and start chowing down. but still I'm intensely curious what he is, in part because of how creepy he looks.

I zoomed in as much as I could. thanks in advance.

Comments (10)

• zzackey
    10 years ago

It is too blurred to tell.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

a shrimp???

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Lol, Ken. It's not a picture that is useful to me.....it kind of looks spiderish.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry guys, I did the best I could with the picture. he was moving too fast to get a better one. I scoured the internet for pictures of a spider with a red face, only to come up short. he could be anything. I haven't seen him since, so it's no big deal really I was just curious.

thanks anyway, you guys have been very helpful to me in the past.

• calliope
    10 years ago

It has six legs. It's a spider. It's a friend. She eats insects.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Calliope: Do you mean EIGHT?

10 years ago

Lololol, this picture has 'bugged ' me! I'm SURE that it's a spider but I can only see 5 legs. The two short appendages in the front appear to be pedipalps. I THINK! If they are little legs, then I see 7.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Yes, they do look like pedipalps. I don't see eight legs either and was looking at the head and thinking spider, spider, spider because of that. I simply had my head where the sun don't shine when I said six legs. I do know that they have eight but it sure don't help my credibility. LOL. Sorry and glad somebody corrected me.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Shrimp is close.

It looks like one of a bazillion crab spiders which will often put their two forelegs together and it looks like one leg.

tj

P.S.
    Look here too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look at the last couple of pics

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 19:03

10 years ago

Calliope, it would take a heck of a lot more than that for you to lose credibility!