Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charmane_2010

How to get rid of mealy bugs?

charmane_2010
13 years ago

I have searched for information about killing the mealy bugs. I've found that Dimethoate can be used to kill them. Is it okay to water the plants infected with solution containing Dimethoate? (because the mealy bugs stick on the roots of my plants, only spraying on the plants seems not to be effective) Does it harm the plants? And is dimethoate harmful to human?

Comments (10)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I would try Neem. Below is a link to dimethoate Identification, toxicity, use, water pollution potential, ecological toxicity and regulatory information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dimethoate

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Good grief, dimethoate is an organophosphate! Very harmful to humans, and other animals.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

@ rhizo And you think I'm the insulter? Or R U implying that? Obviously I've stated my opinion!

13 years ago

You are the touchiest person, taz6122! I was making a comment of agreement of your post, trying to emphasize to charmane about the dangers of this chemical.

I've obviously said something, somewhere, sometime, somehow that has 'angrified' you. Never my intent.

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

Mealybugs are usually scale like thingys on plant leaves, not plant roots. Are you sure you have pest properly identified?

Here is a link that might be useful: About Mealybugs

• schmoo
    13 years ago

Actually mealy bugs on roots are quite common on certain plants. The other common name is "Ground Mealy Bug". Depending on the plant type, they are often very hard to control. Normally systemic pesticides provide the best level of control (they often get into areas where spraying or drenching will not be effective).

Schmoo

13 years ago

Yes, kimmsr...we've seen lots of posts here about root mealies. I've never had the 'pleasure' of seeing them myself, but I think Jean is familiar with them. They are probably more common in some parts of the world than others.

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

Live and learn. I've not seen much about root mealybugs because according to 2 sites I did find there is very little known about them, yet. If what I have found is correct these are problems in greenhouses mostly, not in the average garden whihc may indicate there are predators in the average grden soil that keep these controlled. Most every site I found also says if you have a plant (or several) infested with root mealybugs get rid of them, do not try to baby them along.
    I try to learn something new every day and this is one of theose.

• schmoo
    13 years ago

kimmsr,
    This pest can be quite active in the landscape, it all depends on where you live...as with most pests. A lot is known about them on ornamentals and how to control them, it is probably just not reflected on the sites you visit.

charmane 2010,

The dimethoate would be over kill, very harsh material. While it is systemic, there are other products that would be much safer for you to use...at least in comparison to that stuff. Look for something with imidacloprid, safer for you (it has issues also).
    But the easiest and safest overall way to control it is to get rid of the plant, all depends on if you can part with it and start over with a new one.

Schmoo

• tdscpa
    13 years ago

charmane_2010:

Can you find a product containing Dimethoate that labels it suitable for use on vegetable gardens? If so, I would be inclined to trust it. If you find it is only usable for lawns and flower gardens, I would not use it on anything I wanted to eat.