Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kwas

Posted by Marcia24 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 12:53

I'm a new member. My hibiscus plants that are potted have white flies. I tried to make KWAS by putting 2.5 tablespoons of rye flour into 1 gallon of water that had no chlorine in it. It never turned white. It was tan color and had a slight sour smell. No bubbles. I had it in a plastic container that was covered, but not sealed really tight. I removed the cover a few times a day to stir it. I was surprised that it got moldy after only a week or two.

What did I do wrong? How should it be stored? Plastic or glass? Keep it out of sunlight?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kwas

Huh?

o

I will simply repeat what I wrote in reply to your post at the
Organic Gardening page.
The most I could find out about Kwas is that it is a soup made by fermenting bread. I find nothing about using it to control Whitefly.
Whitefly can be difficult to control because they have developed immunities to most of the commonly used insecticides. The best method of control is to encourage the predators of Whitefly and place Yellow Sticky Traps that can trap some of the adults.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Whiteflies

o

Thanks! I should have mentioned that I learned about kwas from 2 older threads on this forum. The first was called " How do I get rid of white fly?" from 7/30/2012. That led me to "One of the best recipes in Organic gardening" from 10/16/2009.

Also, I'm on my 2nd try to make kwas. Neither time did it turn white as it mentioned it should in the 2nd thread.

o

Marcia, I remember the conversation about kvas/kwas. As I recall, it was an unresearched theory and didn't garner much attention.

I suggest that you look up recipes for kvas....maybe in the Cooking Forum, but also as a general search. I'm sure that it's being made somewhere. I don't see any literature regarding its use to control whitefly.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here