Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesuko

Name this bug; and what do do with my aphid problem

Lesuko
11 years ago

I have a bug that can't be identified by my local nurseries nor have I found a matching picture online.

Since I don't have a micro, the image is bad. I had thought it was a leafhopper but it doesn't match photos I've seen online nor does it have a long sucking nose that I can see.

It is the size of a sharpened pencil, green bottom and wings with black head. It is on my tomatillos (had them last year)and new peach trees.

If you think you know what it is- can you tell me how to treat it organically please? And, whether or not treatment could hurt my bees?

Aphids- they are all over my currants. As well as small black balls that look like poop- any ideas? I'm worried the plant may die since it's covered in aphids, or spread to toher plants, however I have a few ladybugs and larva on the plant and am wondering if I use a pesticide if it will kill the good guys too? What do you do in this situation? Even if I spray with a hose, the ladybug larva will get blown off too.

Thanks for reading my long post.

Leslie

Image link:

Comments (9)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

...wondering if I use a pesticide if it will kill the good guys too? Likely. The good guys have to have something to eat to show up. The only way they can get to work is to be left alone. Your yard, your call. The fire truck doesn't park outside your house waiting for it to catch fire, u know? When it does, they rush in. Unfortunately beneficial bugs aren't as efficient as firefighters, but kinda works the same. Sometimes the balance isn't achieved in a single year.

...black balls that look like poop... See any caterpillars? If so, search "currant host plant" to see what munches on it, see if pics match. Sometimes one discovers the caterpillars of pretty butterflies are the munchers of a plant, sometimes it's something much less desirable.

Can't see pictured bug clearly enough to guess.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I can't tell what the insect is in your image. But I can tell you that you will not be able to see the sucking mouth part of a leaf hopper.....way too small. Do they jump, fly, or exhibit any other kind of behavior? Are you certain they they are doing damage...or might they be good guys?

You can spray your currants with insecticidal soap...directly on the aphids and not over the entire garden. Insecticidal soaps cause fewer problems to beneficials than many other insecticides, especially when applied with care.

• Lesuko
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. My camera cant get a close enough shot.

The buggers do jump like flea beetles but are not chewing holes. In fact, there is no sign of injury to the plants but you read about sap sucking bugs, or disease transmitting.

Yup, I got the caterpillars- that means I have to go check my greens now....

11 years ago

If they appear to be jumping around, they are probably one of the leaf hoppers....which flit from location to location.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Keep in mind that Insecticidal Soap is a broad spectrum poison, when wet, and will kill off any beneficial insects that get sprayed as well as the pests. All that is really needed to control Aphids is a sharp stream of water to knock the wee buggers off the plant. The next generation of Aphids more then likely will show up in a couple of days and they can be knocked off the same way.

• Tinkerbel
    11 years ago

It's hard to tell from your pic but it looks to me like it might be some kind of weevil.

• Lesuko
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Tinkerbel,
    It's definitely not a weevil. It's more of a cross between a leafhopper and green aphid. Thanks though.

11 years ago

tinker, actually...I can see why you see a weevil in those images. I'm not gonna say 'definitely not' to small black weevils.

Lesuko, think of the pointy part of the insect as the snout of the weevil.

• Tinkerbel
    11 years ago

It is def not a leafhopper. There are so many aphid species it could be a fat aphid. I still think it looks like some kind of coleoptera.