Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help. Is this considered a pest?

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 13:06

A GROUND HOG!

How does one rid an animal like this that comes in through your neighborhood eating all our perennials and annuals along the way as it passes through my backyard?

I have lost countless of marigolds, coleous, tomatos, vegetables, small bushes, and ect. It is awful.

Any ideas?

Thank you..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help. Is this considered a pest?

Obviously a pest. In my state any animal that destroys anything is a varmint and can be shot. Not within city limits legally but I would shoot it anyway. I'm on the outskirts in a rural area and my neighbors wouldn't care. You might be able to trap it with some fresh greens and the county might supply the trap and take it away.

o

Live trapping is about the only option you have in Massachusettes, shooting anything out of season is really frowned on there and discharging a fireamrm in the cities even more. However, if you do live trap understand that moving a wild animal without a license is also frowned on there, so some provision must be made ahead of time of what to do with what you trap.
Your critter could be a groundhog, a gopher, or voles, rats, mice.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 10:54

Here's the regs for your own state for dealing with groundhogs/woodchucks. There is no permit available for relocating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mass.gov - groundhog pests

o

If you live in Massachusetts, you have to catch it live, place it in your vehicle (or a cheaper junk car), drive your car into a pool of water, and let it drown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here