Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this tree diseased? (pic included)

Posted by MariaMicaela TN (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 13:13

Hi, this is a tree outside my workplace. I noticed there are these boils or capsules all over the leaves. I've noticed these on the leaves of other trees as well. Does someone know if this is a disease? Or is this just how the leaves look naturally? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this tree diseased? (pic included)

Eriophyid mites possibly.

o

Gosh, I wish I knew for sure what kind of tree that is....I can't recall at the moment. This is a leaf gall, which are caused by one of several different kinds of little insects or mites. Knowing the name of the plant can be very helping in identifying the kind of gall.

Most types of insect or mite induced galls are not a problem for the plant...they just look funny. If you go over to the Tree Forum, your tree (and probably the type of leaf gall) will be identified quickly.

o

Leaf Galls are not a problem. Many trees get them and live for eons with them, just as Acer species get and live with Black Tar Spot.
The Hackberry I have has had them since day one and aside from appearance there is no problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here