Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange black spots on cuke leaves

Posted by sewsewcreative Zone 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 13:39

Hello ~ and thank you so much for any advice or opinions in advance! I'm really excited to be posting here (this is the first time I've had a garden do this well!)!

My question involves strange black spots/schmutz on my cuke leaves (I'm also finding the same or similar spots on my neighboring grape leaves, too). An internet search led me to believe that the black spots were the result of gypsy moths/caterpillars, so I found BT spray at my local Lowes, which I then sprayed all over my plants.

Ideally, I'd like to make sure that I'm treating the problem correctly and haven't confused these black spots with other black spots. I've uploaded/attached two images that show the spots.

Any help is VERY appreciated! Thank you so much! <3

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange black spots on cuke leaves

Here's another image of the strange black spots. Again, any help is most appreciated! Thank you!

o

Where do you live in zone 9 that gypsy moths are a problem?

Anyway, it certainly looks like caterpillar frass. And the leaves are being devoured should be a sign of caterpillars. But what makes you think that the culprits are gypsy moths?

o

Hi Rhizo! Thank you so much for responding!

I got the idea just doing a general search on black spots on cuke leaves. I've not seen any caterpillars (lizards are a more frequent visitor to our garden area) nor moths ~ I just assumed.

I'm in Panama City Beach, if that makes a difference.

Again, thank you!

o

Whoops! Just realized that I'm zone 8b ... if that makes a difference. :/

o

Unless you manage to find the actual producer of all of that poop, we can't ID it for you. It won't be a gypsy moth, though. :-)

The Bt can be effective in controlling caterpillars while they are still young.

o

The only thing that Zone tells us is which plants will most likely survive a normal winter in your garden, beyond that it is meaningless since it tells us nothing of what kind of soil you may have, how much rainfall you may get, what kinds of insects you may have, etc.

The larva of the Gypsy Moth will eat the leaves, as well as leave large quantities of frass (a nice word for poop) so you will know they are present because your trees and shrubs will fairly quickly become bare. Same with the Tentworm Caterpillars. I find nothing that would indicate that either of these is a pest of the squash family of plants.

o

Gypsy moths don't occur in Florida.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here