Cucumber Damage

Posted by ethnobotany (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 13:44

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumber Damage

The tiny yellow spots 0- are they your concern? If so, very out of focus but,even so, I'd guess aphids. If so, not responsible for the leaf damage.

As for the leaf image, environmental. I see you're growing hydroponic system, right?

o

Yes Jean. I actually have found that there are a few thrips here and there, particularly on the blooms. They don't seem large enough in number to produce these manifestations though. The other orange critters (sorry I couldn't get a better zoom with my iPhone) aren't actually critters. They are eggs! Or at least they appear to be. I scraped a few off and they were very hard, almost like a hardened sap? What really concerns me about them is they are found on that surface split of the stem, which I had never noticed before until of recent.

UPDATE: A few of the lower leaves, even the new branches, are beginning to wilt and the tips are turning grey/dark blue and crumpling up. What could this be?

o

BUMP

o

Any signs of cucumber beetles? A few days ago I noticed similar stem splits along with yellowing and no flowering taking place anymore. My leaf damage also looks similar but not quite as bad.

Since then I've noticed increasing numbers (kill maybe 12-15 per day) of striped cucumber beetles, mainly out at night, and have had to trim two of my three plants back in hopes of saving them from bacterial wilt.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: my cucumber troubles

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here