Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
June Bugs...Aargh!!!

Posted by petpalikali WI-Z4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 13:58

I am crazy scared of June bugs, and we seem to have a bumper crop this year. Is there anything to do to make them go away and kill off any eggs, or however they make more June bugs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: June Bugs...Aargh!!!

Why are you scared?

Although they're rather klutzy and even noisy while in the air, they don't attack, maim, or even bite people or pets.

o

There is little you can do about the adult June Beetles out there now and since they are around only about 30 days there is no need to do anything. Some sources suggest using Milky Spore Disease, Bacillus popilleae, a disease that infects Scarab beetle grubs although some sources also suggest the MSD is only effective against one specific member of the Scarab Beetle family. If used MSD should be spread around in late June to early July to be in the soil when the larva hatch and are small enough to be harmed by those spores.

o

Seriously Jean, did ya not get the crazy in my question? Thanks Kimmsr for the larvae info. And as far as the now part of the June Bug problem...I've moved the light further from the back door and the dog is eating as many as she can catch or dig up!

o

The dog is eating them! That's fantastic. They are everywhere here in South Carolina...my son picks them off and feeds them by the handful to the chickens. It's candy to them and apparently to dogs too!

This post was edited by LKZZ on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 12:10

o

Hey -- crunchy protein! Next best thing to bacon !

ummmm .... bacon ! ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here