Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are THESE on my shrub?

Posted by aspiringgreenery none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 14:08

This is a viburnum opulus sterile (snowball bush).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are THESE on my shrub?

aphids

do you have other questions??

ken

o

Thanks Ken, would a soap spray get rid of them?

o

• Posted by bragu 5a JW_born here (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 17:20

buy some ladybugs … they LOVE aphids

Aphids suck the sap from the plant. They can destroy a whole plant.

google aphid control and do what is best.

I like the crush a handful so they will send off a pheromone warning the others of impending doom …

dave

o

Aspiring, the most commonly used recommendation is to direct a fairly strong stream of plain water to the aphids to knock them off. The treatment will need to be repeated.

If you look carefully, you'll probably find the insects under the leaves, too....which would explain why the leaves are cupped. That's where your insecticidal soap would come in handy. Spritz some on the underside of the foliage.

As always, read and follow directions.

o

Thank you so much, everyone! Will do the crushing of some... soap the underside of leaves as well. Will look for some ladybugs and transfer some over to my poor plant!

o

Please don't forget the strong sprays of water....that's the number one most effective treatment.

o

Thanks rhizo_1, did it! :)

o

Aphids suck the sap from the plant. They can destroy a whole plant.

They do indeed suck out the plant juices but aphids have never been blamed for the demise of a woody plant, like a viburnum. For one, they tend to be more seasonal than not and prey to so many different types of predators that they just don't develop that strong a foothold. If we are talking a young seedling then yes, aphids could do serious damage. Otherwise, their impact is almost exclusively cosmetic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here