o
Home-made recipes for black spots/rust

Posted by juper (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 19, 10 at 14:42

Anybody have any favorites? Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home-made recipes for black spots/rust

I have used both of these with good reults over the years.
1 teaspoon of Baking Soda mixed in 1 quart of water or a 50/50 mix of fat free milk and water either one sprayed every 5 to 7 days on infected plants. Clean up infected leaves and canes before spraying.

o

Yes, there are variations on kimmsr's recipe of baking soda, some use 1 more tsp for really bad blackspot. I used to make in a qt sprayer 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp veg oil as a sticker and you have to spray a lot, in morning or evening. On succulents not sure if it will work, when I got an infection in Seattle I coated fungus in veg oil and that smothered it, still have black on an aloe to this day.

Dan

o

Thanks kimmsr and dan for your replies.
I will try both of these recipes.
As a test on few of my aloe plants, I will try to mix in neem oil and soap along with baking soda and monitor the progress. thx, -j

o

"Black Spot" is a disease of roses, although it could potentially also infect apples since they are the same family of plants. Often other plants do get some black spots but those are caused by many other bacteria or viruses, or mechanical damage, and I've not seen that Baking Soda is very effective in controlling those. For example, Maples (Acer species) every year get Black Tar Spot which is not controlled by Baking Soda or much opf anything else. But that also does not do much harm to the infected trees.

o

The baking soda spray will work, and works better with an oily substance added to help it stick. I add a drop of liquid soap, too, to help lubricate it.

BUT - you have to spray BEFORE black spot hits so start early in the spring as the roses are growing. Baking soda will not "kill" black spot once it starts - it is purely a preventative.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here