Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's eating my butterfly bush

Posted by bigbill SoCal (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 14:51

I planted two butterfly bushes early this year. One is about 5 feet tall and the other is less than a foot tall. Just after planting them, something ate one of them almost down to the roots. Left nothing on the ground. I was able to salvage it by fertilizing and watering it and last weekend it was back up to about 3 feet tall and blooming. The other evening I went out and it almost gone again, this time its about 8" tall with only a few leaves left. What eats the leaves and the stems? The one that's now been eaten twice is next to my woodpile. I am pretty sure there are no rabbits in the yard anymore as I have been exporting them to a local park. Latly I have only caught a skunk in my live trap. (but thats another story) I know there are squirrels back behind my fence and I have seen an opposum on my wall last year. I would imagine there are rats in the woodpile but I haven't seen any signs of them this year. Anyone know what animal eats butterfly bush where it looks like someone went at it with clippers?

Thanks,

Bill
San Diego

Image link: What's eating my butterfly bush (21 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's eating my butterfly bush

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 10, 07 at 1:45

Do you have deer, too?

o

Are there any footprints around the plant? I would suspect deer also.

o

Hi Bill, you posted back in June of 07' about an animal eating your butterfly bush. Did you ever figure out what it was. I have a 2 year old beautiful butterfly bush that is being mutilated a little at a time every night. I set out a cage trap with apples in it and this critter manages to eat the fruit with out setting the trap every time. I'm thinking it is a very light animal. The bush is 5 ft high and it climbs the branches and strips them and then cuts off the branch and hauls it away. Would love to know if you had any luck finding out what it was eating yours.

Thanks

Lilia
Poway

o

I am having the same problem. There are rats and squirrels in the area, and I suspect it is one of the two. It is puzzling and irritating to say the least. This is the first time in 22 years that there are squirrels in the neighborhood. I am going to get a trap and see what I catch.

Mike
Spring Valley

o

From what I've been reading, butterfly bush is one of the plants that deer DON"T like to eat. I've been researching this since something munched on and broke parts of my bush recently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here