Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigbillsd

What's eating my butterfly bush

bigbill
16 years ago

I planted two butterfly bushes early this year. One is about 5 feet tall and the other is less than a foot tall. Just after planting them, something ate one of them almost down to the roots. Left nothing on the ground. I was able to salvage it by fertilizing and watering it and last weekend it was back up to about 3 feet tall and blooming. The other evening I went out and it almost gone again, this time its about 8" tall with only a few leaves left. What eats the leaves and the stems? The one that's now been eaten twice is next to my woodpile. I am pretty sure there are no rabbits in the yard anymore as I have been exporting them to a local park. Latly I have only caught a skunk in my live trap. (but thats another story) I know there are squirrels back behind my fence and I have seen an opposum on my wall last year. I would imagine there are rats in the woodpile but I haven't seen any signs of them this year. Anyone know what animal eats butterfly bush where it looks like someone went at it with clippers?

Thanks,

Bill

San Diego

Image link:

Comments (7)