Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purita_gw

help found ticks in my pool

purita
9 years ago

Hi, I woke to my pool man telling me there are ticks in my pool. I live on a hilltop and have kids that swim a lot (and a dog). There was around 30 inside of the chlorine tablet floater, there is a small hole where the came out of. now I see around 10 floating around my pool. How do I get ride of them? and where did they come from so I may rid myself of them? Thank you so much.

Comments (11)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Please post picture of them as several other critters are often mistaken for ticks, especially stink bug youngsters.

• purita
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this is them

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Here's a clue....ticks have 8 legs. :-) jean is right.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

That is a beetle (insect, six legs) of some type not a tick (arachnid, 8 legs).

Linda

• jean001a
    9 years ago

That is an adult stink bug. Not a tick.

If you want to get rid of them, fish them out with a net, then dump into soapy water.

They won't bother (hurt or injure) your kids or anyone else, even if someone bumps into them.

This post was edited by jean001a on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 0:16

9 years ago

Stinkbug, not beetle. Ever since I saw the image I've thought that it might be a Two Spotted stink bug. These insects are highly variable in color but do have certain characteristics that don't change.

If it is a variant of the Two Spotted, then it's your pal. They are predators of other insects.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 7:10

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

thank god your pool man.. isnt your gardener ... he's a horticultural idiot.. lol ...

and while you are at it.. thank him that you found us ....

did he try to sell you something to put in the pool to avoid such ... if so.. get rid of him ...

ken

9 years ago

Ken, there's no call to make comments like that about a person who had no reason to know what these insects are. Did you recognize them?

As a matter of fact, the pool man should be commended for bringing this to the attention of purita.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

yes.. i clearly knew it wasnt a blood sucking vampire bug ..... but beyond that.. no.. i didnt know.. and i wouldnt have offered an opinion on such.. to scare the bee-gee-bees out of the pool owner..... she isnt posting out of curiosity ... i would bet she is scared for the kiddos ....

if he had no reason to know, as you suggest .. then he shouldnt have offered an opinion ...

my point was if, based on his opinion.. he offered to add more chemicals or some such to her pool ... [and that would be an IPM nightmare ...]

and if so ... then he was ripping her off ... [and that strikes at the heart of my hatred of wasting money and using unnecessary chems ....]

ken

PS: i mean really ... not knowing as you suggest .. and then telling her.. its a blood sucking, potentially life threatening bug .. i will repeat.. what an idiot ...

as they say.. better to keep your mouth shut.. [the pool guy, not rhiz] .. and be thought an idiot... than to open it.. and remove all doubt ...

pps: surprised he didnt proceed to lecture her on lyme disease ... after all.. he is 'the' POOL MAN .... [sounds like an adam sandler movie.. lol]

• rahshieky
    11 months ago

I had the same thing ! and about 20 of them were stuck inside my dog. ive seen ticks in a swiiming pool hes not lying

• Fori
    11 months ago

This old thread does clarify through a good photograph (good enough to identify the creature) that the original poster did not have ticks in their pool. Instead, there were harmless insects getting stuck in the pool.

Maybe you do have ticks (although our original poster did not), @rahshieky! But post a photo and I'm sure people will help you identify your creature. Even if they are ticks, it's good to know what SPECIES of tick you have because different tick species carry different diseases and it's good to know what to look out for.