Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
montanadolphin

I know it's friend, but what kind?

montanadolphin
12 years ago

I have mantids every year, and I love them. When I find them on my honeysuckle or azaleas, I relocate them to my garden. This year, however, I found one I've never seen before. I have Chinese and European mantids, but none of them have ever had a peach colored abdomen underneath. Does anyone know what KIND of praying mantis this is? Thanks in advance!!

Comments (2)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

She is very beautiful, but I don't know what species.

I can't have mantids in my gardens, which are mostly flowering perennials and attract a huge number of bees, butterflies, moths, and other pollinators. And they don't stay in the vegetable garden if I put them there, darn it.

I do NOT like seeing piles of butterfly wings on the ground under a bunch of echinacea, if you know what I mean.

• montanadolphin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, yes I completely understand what you mean. I do like having less squash bugs and borers, though. And so far I have not had any problem with my vegetable flowers bearing fruit...there's no way the praying mantids could possibly eat enough butterflies and bees to keep those numbers down. When I relocate them in my garden, I put them in the squash and cucumber area, and some in my corn...haven't had any luck with them yet in the corn, I still am plagued with corn worms in my ears every year, but I have noticed quite an improvement with my squash and cucumbers.