Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black spots on Pear Tree leaves

Posted by chri_s 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 15:25

Hi,

We have a Pear tree - around five years old. Last year it developed the attached spots and damage on the leaves, and it doesn't seem to have gone away this year (which was my hope).

The tree has many small pears, most of which fall off. Last year every one fell off so we were left with no fruit, the same is happening this year.

I wondered if anyone would be kind enough to offer some advice to bring the tree back to health. I have a few more photos if it would help - the blight is on all parts of the tree across many hundreds of leaves.

Many thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black spots on Pear Tree leaves

Looks like damage from pear blister mites and perhaps aphids as well. These are not critical problems but could be pretty much eliminated with a good dormant spraying program.

As to the fruit falling off, do you have a second pear tree around? Pears are not self-fertile and need a second one of a different type to cross pollinate. Fruit may well develop on a single tree but will abort without proper pollination.

o

Hi - thanks very much for your answer, I'm pleased that it's not too much to worry about.

Would you have a suggestion as to the kind of thing I could treat the tree with? I'm not sure what I'd be looking for.

Many thanks

o

you might want to ask the fruit pro's in the fruit forum ...

they tend to be much more aggressive with chemicals than we like to suggest ...

not that you wont get an answer here.. but to get additional opinions ...

ken

o

Thanks Ken - I'll do just that

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here