Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Request for insect identification again

Posted by chilliwin 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 15:26

Today I found this insects by chance. I saw one of the Rocoto leaves got bruise and I thought it would be due to the today's very strong wind. All my plants specially super hot chilies with big leaves could not stand the wind. When I checked the leave I found this small green insect under the leave, the size is half size of an aphid and the body looks like harder than an aphid, it moves faster than an aphid too. I think it is not an aphid.

The picture is not very clear because it is very small and my camera phone is not good enough to take such type of small insect. Please help me to identify this insect.

Smallest Insect 01 photo IMG_2290PS_zps8e0ca60a.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Caelian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Request for insect identification again

Caelian: I think you'll need to enlarge the photo a tad. MSPaint or photoshop is what I use.

Kevin

o

Kevin, thank you for the advice.
Insect PS02 photo IMG_2290PSCR_zpsea82fcf5.jpg

Insect PS03 photo IMG_2288CRL_zps7432b2f8.jpg

I tried different sizes but I cannot make it clear.

Caelian

o

hmm... that is tiny. Hope you get some help..
:)

Kevin

o

Kevin, just I tried. I do not see any of them now and I do not like to see them again.
:-)

Caelian

o

I have these all over my petunias. I've been searching the internet for identification for over a week. The majority of them are on the under side of the leaves. They are so small that I can't even take a picture of them.

o

Are they doing something harmful to your plants? Sometimes it is not easy to find the identity of the insects.

The one I found has gone, just it used my plant as a transit lounge
:-)

Caelian

o

Now I got a bit better pictures, my hedge is infested with these insects but I have not seen them in my container plants. The color of these insects is slightly green cream color, the body is not very soft, harder than a mosquito. It moves very fast and almost like jump.

Insect 23J13 photo IMG_2491S_zps39b0af84.jpg

The time for hedge trimming coming and I am worry about all these insects. The hedge has no sign of any damage. I would like to get some information about these insects are they harmful to my chili, cabbage and tomato plants? I do not think they are whitefly, I saw some pictures of it in Google, but I am not sure and I do not have much experiences on insect identities.

Thanks in advance.

Caelian

o

Caelian, now THAT'S a picture we can work with! Your insect is one of the many species of leafhoppers and they can be a pest of many of our crops.

Do a Google Images search and you might be able to spot your critter. It sure looks like the very common Potato Leafhopper, a pest of many different kinds of plants.

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 14:09

Yes - leafhopper.
They are so annoying this season!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pests in Gardens and Landscapes

o

Rhizo and LKZZ thank you for the feedback and the link. Yes THAT's leafhoppers. My problems is how to eradicate them all because my hedge is so dense and I saw a lot of them there. My container plants are not very far from the hedge. If I trimmed the hedge their next nest would be my container plants.

Any tips to destroy them will be very much appreciated.

Caelian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here