Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holly in distress

Posted by kmb55 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 15:27

If anyone can tell me what I can do to help this holly, I would greatly appreciate it. It seemed to sustain a lot of winter damage and is looking rather sad. The one on the opposite end of this garden is full and thriving. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holly in distress

its recovering.. in the new buds...

the ONLY issue;.. is do you wnat to look at it.. in this form for a year or two .. before it fully recovers ..

it will NEVER look like it used to ... and it will take a bit of shaping to be pretty ...

soooo ... can you put up with it.. or not... your call ...

personally .. i don not fert shrubs ... and its not hungry.. its stressed ... so dont think you will cut recovery time.. if you 'feed' it ...

ken

ps: i wouldnt hold onto it... and i would not plant the same thing.. you already said you have another holly.. whats the use of two???

o

As Ken says, your plant already has nice new growth and seems to be recovering, so you probably don't have to do anything out of the ordinary for it.
It looks like it will eventually bush up again if you give it some time (:

- Sparkey

o

Thank you. I think I'll just wait and see, and protect it from the cold & snow next winter.

o

If you are like many around the country, last winter was exceptional and exceptionally hard on a lot of shrubs and trees. I had damage from last winter on things I've never seen winter damage on before. It was a pretty unusual phenomenon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here