Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomatoe new leaves mutated

Posted by davidpdq arkansas (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 19, 10 at 15:29

I thought my tomatoes were fine although there were probably 5 or 6 (18 plants) that I pulled off because they were black on the end. They were growing fine and all looked well. then there was an infestation of red colored bugs (looked like tiny grasshoppers)less and more than pinhead size. I sprayed with Malathion 50 and didn't work so I sprayed with spectricide and killed them. After tow weeks the new leaf growth is mutated, curly, small deformed. I used the proper amount of chemical as directed in spraying. I have been searching to find the answer and make corrections is I can...........help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomatoe new leaves mutated

Sounds like aphids. They can cause deformed leaves.

o

Lots of things can cause deformed leaves on tomatoes. Insects are one. Virus is another. Can't rule out nutrient deficiencies and cultural or environmental conditions. Tomatoes are also very sensitive to herbicides.

o

Are you sure the Spectracide is safe for use on vegetables? Do the instructions for the product you used state it is for use on food crops?

I don't remember seeing anything from them as labeled for vegetable garden use.

o

Malathion is a very broad spectrum poison that is listed by the Pesticide Action Network as a "Bad Actor" because of its potential carcinogenic and genetic damage tendencies. The Spectracide Triazicide says "Home and Garden" althjough nothjing I can find says it can be used on the vegetable garden. This does appear to be of lower toxicity then the Malathion but is still a very broad spectrum poison that will do much more harm than good because it will also kill benefiical insects.
Those leaves good have been an indication of a soil nutrient deficiency, probably not of an insect. The wee buggers you saw may well have been aphids and those can be knocked off any plant they are on with just a sharp water spray, no poisons potentially harmful to you and your family necessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here