Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaf spots

Posted by juper (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 15:54

Hi-

Any idea what causes these brown spots. I couldn't find any bugs on the leaves. thx

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaf spots

That's a fungus from here, one of the many leaf spots. Excellent year for it.

Dan

o

Thanks Dan. I'm wondering if I should use a contact spray fungicide or a systemic one? any suggestions? thx -j

o

Entomosporum mespii. Famous for getting on Photinia, it can get on other Rosaceous plants such as Amelanchier, Raphiolepis, and Pyrus. You may not see it every year on Pyrus, but you tend to see it more in years with wet springs. I would treat it like you would on Photinia, but it's not as serious on Pyrus. Any fallen leaves get rid of. New growth can be sprayed with mancozeb or chlorothalonil to protect it, otherwise, older growth should be sprayed with systemics such as propicanizole, tebucanazole, mycobutanil, or thiophanate=methyl. It's up to you to treat. If it's a large tree, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a smaller tree, I'd consider it, especially if wetter weather seems to be more frequent.

o

Stompede,
Thank you for that great reply. -j

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here