Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this critter on my young bean?

Posted by FuzzyPete 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 15:59

I found this critter underneath a leaf on a pole bean plant that is beginning to look a little less healthy.. A couple of them have some holes in leaves... This critter was on a plant that is looking a little brownish on leaf edges with some leaves looking a little "puckered"... At any rate, there are several more of these guys on the plants and they are very small (mite sized, i would say)...

this picture was a 4x magnified shot, FYI.

any ID?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this critter on my young bean?

That's an aphid. They come in several colors and can be found on many different kinds of plants. They 'may' be responsible for the leaf puckering but do not chew holes in plants.

Aphids are probably the most common and prevalent pest of garden plants and are able to reproduce prolifically. Better study up on them!

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 14:12

Notice if you see ladybeetles as well. They are one of many beneficials that enjoys feasting on aphids.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pests in Gardens and Landscapes

o

Ahhh... that is what an aphid looks like... I have already read up on them, but I was not sure what I was looking for...

No lady beetles, yet, but I am pretty sure that I spotted a hoverfly the other day.. I also know that we have a lot of spiders cruising around the gardens and the house overall... I am counting on them to help with various pests...

o

Yeah.. That's what one looks like magnified... lol. I always just look for little green or gray looking eggs. If they move when I give them a nudge, it's aphids!

All the regular members of this forum know that I'm pretty bad at I.D. Hence all the threads started by me. ;)

Kevin

o

Aphids the same color as whatever they feeding on? Not a chance. Their assorted colors are dictated by their species.

I hope that Fuzzy doesn't fall for your hint that he needs to resort to very heavy duty chemicals. Not necessary.

o

Thanks for the reply Rhizo,

I thought it best to let the regulars of this forum know, rather than someone like me that only stops in once in awhile to learn something new for the day. Thanks for all you do.

Pam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here