Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dirt mounds in yard

Posted by mikebrosseau87 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 16:00

I have mounds of dirt that combine my grayish brown dirt with a very light brown dirt. Daily I mash the piles down, only to have two or three more pop up the next day. What are these dirt mounds? Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dirt mounds in yard

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 18:24

What's the size? And where do you live?

Possible are gophers, worms, solitary bees, and more.

o

i live in florida, no more than 2.5" high and 3-3.5" long. i will try to upload a picture.

o

Crawdads or crayfish live in the ground. I live in Arkansas and have them here. Seen them in Louisiana too so I'm sure they can be in Florida too. They come out at night and bury their hole very early morning.

o

Termites and ants too. The only way to find out for sure is to dig into one of them

o

If these mounds are more than just a few inches in diameter they most likely are caused by either moles or gophers tunneling through your soil. I simply rake that soil level and gor about my business, however, that are people that are very paranoid about haveing moles in their yard and they will spend many dollars and lots of time and energy trying to sliminate something that is not controllable. I know people that have trapped 40 moles every year for the last 45 years and still have moles.

o

Amen. I think of them as an annoying form of natural soil aeration.

o

Could be an armadillo. My SIL had one take up residence under her front porch. He came out at night and dug holes looking for grubs and other yummy stuff. They had new holes every day until they finally had him relocated out to the country!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here